Thursday, December 4, 2008

Picking up the peices slowly... but break even stretches don't help the process!

















So I've played like 200 games over the past 1 months and a half. And it sucks having a -1% ROI over that stretch. Above is the graph of the profit won and loss - and I'm essentially about break even at the moment. Over the last 200 games though - I've had like one 20+ game down swing and two 12+ game downswings. I've circled the downswings below in black:
















This isn't helped by the fact that I've only cashed in like 34% of my games so far - which is pretty low. Its a pretty low sample size - but the ups and downs takes its toll mentally. No wonder I went so shit this year on the academic front.

I once read a post by Scotty_12 on 2+2 STTF on his thoughts on the characteristics of a good SNG player. He says:


"The ideal SNG player would be mentally tough... if I were to make a player on Madden - I'd max out mental toughness"


I could not agree more - The relief of running hot followed by cashing in 1 out of 17 games (latest downswing) really does test your self belief.

But I do know that I have some leaks to fill if I'm going to be any good at these $3 tourneys. But its soooo boring studying ICM and stuff - but I guess it has to be done. Gramps once said that if the boring stuff makes you money - alot of people have trouble doing it.

Here are my stats over the 201 games with a ROI of -1.6% and an ITM% of 34.8%:




















But the good thing is that I'm slowly but surely getting over the tough period at the moment - particularly on the life front. I'm starting to excersice again. I've set myself a goal to get my weight down from 90 kg to 87kg by the end of this year. So right now... life is slowly getting better - inch by inch - as Pacino says in Any Given Sunday. Now... its a matter of finding the to time read the two thesis on cancer my supervisor has given me in between the time I'm studying/reviewing and playing poker.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: